Eric R Snow

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:17:53 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:47:02 -0700, the renowned Eric R Snow
wrote:

I need to get the durometer tested on a rubber part. This part just
came in, the customer doesn't know what the durometer is, and he needs
parts friday. I would just order a durometer overnight but the
cheapest I can find is $280.00. The whole job isn't worth it. Since it
may or may not turn into more work, I'm reluctant to spend the money
on it. The customer said I only need to be close, not perfect on the
hardness. Is there a way I can approximate it with a weight and a
properly shaped probe tip?
Thanks,
Eric R Snow

I don't have a tester, but it looks like you can really easily make an
indenter like this (type A) and press it against the material with
1.81 lbs of force and read the indentation in inches as 100 (no
penetration) to 0 (100 thou penetration).

http://www.ptc1.com/durometers_tech.htm

Dimensions of the indenter are given in metric here as:

Hardened steel rod 1,10 mm - 1,14 mm dia,
with a truncated 35º cone, 0,79 mm dia.

http://www.npl.co.uk/force/guidance/...ss/rubber.html

Confirmed here in this data sheet for a commercial durometer:

http://www.checkline.com/products/12...abf472340604e5

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks Spehro,
I googled but did not find the above sites.
Cheers,
Eric