F. George McDuffee

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 03:22:20 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:
Just got the import coaxial indicator from Enco.
The main spindle on this thing, and thus the entire body, wobbles with a
TIR of 0.020" at the lower end. In other words, the axis of the unit is
offset (or bent?) from the axis of the stub that goes into the machine
collet.
Is this a defect, or a feature?

I have the same co-ax indicator, and it did not wobble in
operation. The wobble is apparently a defect and not a feature
but this may not affect operation as the body is stationary
[although it does move up and down on the shaft] during
operation.

Now the had part ...

I had used this indicator a total of 5 times in about as many
months and when I went to use it the last time the indicator
would not move unless the tip of the pointer was at least a inch
away from center.

Disassembly showed the tip on the AGD1 indicator had snapped
where it screwed into the indicator stem. Examination with a
magnifier shows the typical gray matte fracture of a hydrogen
embrittlement failure. Apparently the tip was hard chrome plated
and never baked. I don't know if the indicator has a US standard
4X48 thread or some metric thread as I can't get the broken stem
out. Anyone have a suggestion? (other than buying a Blake?)