DeepDiver

wrote in message
ups.com...
I can cut a 1'X 1' (expanded) way cover from MMC for $27.00 and it
would probably suit my requirements but am wondering if there are any
better deals out there? Any homemade substitutes? Currently using two
paper towels taped to the saddle.

If it doesn't have to be accordion-folded, then you can use plastic floor
"runner". This stuff is sold by the foot off 3' or 4' wide rolls (can't
remember) for very cheap at local hardware store; I got mine at OSH for my
lathe ways. Typically, it comes in a clear vinyl (relatively stiff), or a
dark-brown/black rubber-like material (much more pliable) which I prefer.
The stuff I got has ribs across the top and a smooth bottom. I cut it so
that the ribs (which run the length of the material) are perpendicular to my
ways so it rolls up nicely when I need to, and it makes it easier to brush
the chips off.

- Michael