Vanessa

Rod Speed wrote:
Am I missing something fundamental here?

Yes, http://www.wengerna.com/faq.jsp?cat_id=1#add_links

What's the trick to removing and replacing
two links in a steel watch band?

Looks like there is a special tool that does it.

I should have mentioned I had been to the Wenger web site previously.
http://www.wengerasi.com
which happens to have a photo of my son's Wenger Swiss Military Watch
(70016) on the home page - but my searches came up blank.

However, unless I'm more of an idiot than I thought (which is always
possible , there are absolutely no instructions for removing links in
that steel watch band on the entire Wenger web site.

While there are detailed instructions for measuring arcane things like
the simple width of the watch
(http://www.wengerna.com/browse/tutorial.jsp) I'm surprised there are
no common adjustment instructions for the band. Given the CostCo Wenger
Swiss Military 200m date watch band ships in XXL elephant size, I can't
imagine that everyone on the planet won't have to remove links in the
bracelet band.

I very much appreciate your link to the Wenger Swiss Army Watch FAQ.
http://www.wengerna.com/faq.jsp
But all it says for adjusting the band is take it to someone who knows
how to adjust the band already (that's why I'm asking this message
board).

The two PDFs at that FAQ site are for the booklet that comes with the
watch (which says ask someone who knows how to adjust the band) and for
ordering new bands.

Why would it be so exasperating to do something so simple as a watch
band adjustment - especially since the band comes in such a huge size
to start with that every human other than Mike Tyson will have to
adjust the band. Where's the usability in that?

By the way, I seriously doubt the pin is spring loaded like it is for
the clasp adjustment on the band because in the u-shaped clasp, there's
a place for the pin to come out - but in the closed-off band, there is
NOWHERE for a spring-loaded pin to exit. It seems that the link pins
can ONLY come out one end or the other which means it must be a
friction fit or some other trick - but not simple springs like in the
clasp (am I totally off base here?)???

Here is my best-guess procedure for all those CostCo watch buyers out
there.
1. Find a very small (1/2 mm) punch (probably a very tiny brad or nail)
2. Find a block of wood with a very small hole (about 1mm or so)
3. Find the arrow on the underside of the Wenger Swiss Military Watch
70016
4. Place the watch band on its side on the block of wood
5. Place the point of the punch on the pin in the direction of the ---
arrow
6. Make sure there is a closed hole (a ditch if you will) below the pin
7. That way you won't lose the pin if it suddenly pops out on you
8. Punch two pins per link out
9. Remove the link and replace only one of the pins
10. If we're lucky - the pins won't have been destroyed in the process

Does this sound anywhere near like a usable procedure for the new
owners of the Costco 70016 Wenger Swiss Military 200m date watch?