Brian Siano

Vinnie Boombotts wrote:
Hello, I hope this is the correct newsgroup.

I am renovating a 1900 Victorian. It has decorative wood trim around windows
and door frames. This trim has been painted numerous times over the years.

I heard of sandblasting painted wood trim. Has anyone done this?
Is there a quick or better way to remove thick paint on wood trim.

There are lots of ways to remove paint from trim. Sandblasting is very
harsh, however, and you're likely to pit the wood.

There was a piece in _Fine Woodworking_ a few months back that described
blasting it with _baking soda_ rather than sand. Much easier on the
wood, and the baking-soda residue is biodegradable. The systems seem
expensive, and I'd like to try one out someday.

Otherwise, the methods available to you a

Heat guns
Caustic chemical strippers like methylene chloride and pyrrolidine
3M's Safest Stripper
Sanding and grinding.

My own favorite method is to use Peel Away 6 or 7 for the upper layers,
and methylene chloride and wire brushes for the final layers. I also
urge people to avoid Citrustrip.