Stormin Mormon

I think they are commonly called "attic thermostats". They are available in
line voltage. Try Graingers.

Or you could get a line voltage cooling thermostat. Same deal.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I just put a fan in the gable of my barn so my indoor farm animals are
not overheating on hot days. Rather than buying a commercial barn
fan, which is costly and most are too big for my small barn anyhow. I
bought a used fan that is intended to be used as an exhaust fan. I
already had a vent up there, so I just mounted the fan over tbe vent
inside the barn.

However, I dont want this fan running all the time. Only when the
temperature gets about a specific temperature up there at the roof
line. I am assuming it should turn on around 85 degrees. and off at
70 deg.

I have been looking for a way to install a thermostat, but as simply
as possible. To install a standard heating - cooling thermostat like
the types used in a house for furnace and AC, would require a
transformer and quite a bit of wiring. Not that it's out of the
question, but I am thinking there must be an easier way, where the
thing is simply installed in the 120vac line, right next to the fan.
I know they make devices like this for portable and baseboard electric
heaters. But those will be just the opposite of what I want to do.
(it would switch on at the low temp and on at the high - That's
backward). But something similar to that is what I am hoping to find.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I do have an old air conditioner
with a dead compressor. Could something be salvaged from that? I'm
always looking to save a buck if I can salvage something from junk.

Anyone?

Thanks

Mark