Brian Grimm

Default Newbie: Particle Board, blades and joints

Greetings all. I'm attempting my first project other than minor
framing-type stuff, and I'm looking for advice.

I'm building a bookcase for storing video tapes, dvds, and such. I'm
putting it into a small walk-in closet, so I'm not looking for beauty. I've
decided to use bullnose particle board shelves for the uprights, and
pre-made laminate covered shelves, which will pretty much match the closet
organizer that's already there.

After dulling a couple of inexpensive circular saw blades and making a mess
out of a couple of long cuts (I know I was weaving officer, but I'm not
drunk!) I did a little research and discovered the recommendation to use
carbide tipped blades. For occasional use, how are the inexpensive ($10-20
each) blades? Do they have enough carbide to bother having them sharpened?
And which would be better - 24T, 40T or higher?

Now for the router. I've got a pretty good router, and a good set of
carbide bits. However, I don't understand the difference between a straight
cutting bit and a mortise bit. To my obviously untrained eye they look the
same, except the straight bit is 'longer' than the mortise bit. Am I going
to bring an end to the world by using the wrong bit?

Finally, what is a good joint to use for the fixed shelves? I'm looking at
the top, bottom, and one in the middle for a little stability. I've looked
at putting a 3/8 dado in the upright, and a 3/8 x 3/8 rabbet in the shelf,
or just a 3/4 dado in the upright. Which of these would be best, or is
there a better joint?

Thanks for your time,
Brian