Mike Henry

I guess I expected something other than absolute zero VAC, but 14 and 70 VAC
had me a bit concerned. Without cause apparently.

Your "no lead" test was interesting. The Tenma (import from Gaingers,
probably) that I was using most of the time is an autoranging DMM and reads
around 1-2 MV. An old Heathkit (an actual kit) from around 30 years ago
reads 0.1-0.2 MV reads exactly 0 on all of it's ranges. Guess I'll use the
Heathkit next time and maybe look around for an analog in good shape.

Is Simpson a good brand?

Mike

"Wild Bill" wrote in message
Yes, an analog volt meter is definitely more reliable than a lot of DMMs
for
AC volts.

With a DMM sitting on a table, not connected to any circuit, you might
notice that if you only hold a single meter lead tip with your fingers,
that
the reading jumps around.

A quick check for the relative quality of a DMM is to set it on the lowest
voltage range with no leads attached. The display should be zero or a very
low reading that doesn't fluctuate. Fluctuation can indicate that there is
no shielding, or that it's inadequate, and some low-end meters are the
worst.

Depending upon the design of the DMM meter's input and conversion
circuitry,
the readings can be very unreliable, especially when checking for AC
voltages.

Generally, the only analog AC meters that will give unusual-looking
readings, are the amplified ones that are intended to measure very small
potentials in the micro or millivolt potentials (not for AC house/building
wiring troubleshooting).

WB

"Mike Henry" wrote in message

Did you use a digital voltmeter to measure this by any chance?

Yep, it was a digital VOM - would analog have given different results?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----