Ken Davey

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:29:12 -0400, john
wrote:

Robin S. wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:16:04 -0500, Rex B wrote:

Get the two marked with a sharp punch, then use a compass to scribe the
other two.

I thought of that...right after I drilled & tapped the first two holes.

While I have no further insight into your hole circle problem, I have a
suggestion.

You should consider writting out work plans for your projects, before you
begin them. While this sounds like a waste of time and a lot of work, I
gaurentee you'll have to think about all the processes in the work plan
while you're at the machine (whether you've done a work plan or not).

The bolt-hole circle is a good example of why work plans are a good idea.
You've probably painted yourself into a corner from which you will not
easily emerge (at least with the original piece of material).

At work I see this a lot, although simple mistakes like yours could quickly
cost tens of thousands of dollars to repair as well as threatening the
safety of people on the floor.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Regards,

Robin

YOu got a window to get out of the corner. Draw another larger
diameter ring with the same center, divide it off to the bolt circle you
want and then scribe a line to intersect the orginal circle.

John

Draw the part (full size) on paper.
Locate paper on part to align with existing holes.
Pop center punch on needed holes.
Drill.

Ken.