BEAR

Eric R Snow wrote:

I was using a chisel to remove, by scraping, foam tape from aluminum
frames. I was listening to the radio through headphones while doing
this. An FM station if that matters. Anyway, sometimes I could hear
the tape separating from the aluminum. I thought the tape must be
making a lot of sound if I could hear it through the headphones.
Removing them only made the process silent. Putting them back on I
could hear the hiss again. I think that there must be a charge being
released when the glue is scraped away from the substrate.
ERS

Mylar "packing tape" is an electret.

It has a built in charge. Sufficient to actually work as a self
energized diaphragm for a condensor (electrostatic) loudspeaker -
although not a particularly good one.

dunno if it was a mylar tape.

_-_-bear