Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 17:32:23 GMT, the renowned xray
wrote:

I've been looking for a 4-jaw chuck for my lathe. Here's one that I was
following, but I think got too high for some reason:

When I look at the bidding history, I see one person bidding up the
price with no other bids in between. I have seen this before on other
eBay auctions.

I can't figure out how this can happen. Is there something missing in
the history that is displayed or is there some other explanation.

Just curious about this weirdness that I have seen before.

The first bid was by cvmillworks, for $176.00. But the current bid
would only have shown up as $90.00.

mr.cp1 placed successive bids for $110.05, $128.50 etc. and got an
"outbid" message automatically fom eBay each time (the so-called
"proxy" bidding).

He gave up at $165.21 (the currently shown bid would have been
something like $167.71), another guy (wihc101)- the current high
bidder at t-13 minutes- came along and bid a higher amount (current
bid would have shown as something like $178.50).

mr.cp1 came back on the 5th and bid $201.10, which generated an
instant outbid notice and raised the current bid to $203.60.

You can't tell what the winnner or high bidder has bid at this point
in time (13 minutes before close), only that it was at least 203.60
(probably more). The only way you can tell what the top bid is if the
increase is less than the minimum bid increment.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany