Dave Hinz

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 17:50:27 GMT, HMFIC-1369 wrote:
Not many of you give things much thought. You can see that this guy wants
something for nothing, which he does. On the other hand, should the Federal
Government have the Right to stop anyone from sharing something you no
longer need. Think about the full consequences, they now copyright words and
phrases, the limit to ownership is limitless and the enforcement thereof
limitless.......... Even having a yard sale families can be prosecuted.

Alarmist and irrelevant to the situation at hand. Guy wants a free copy
of something that is a commercial product. Just because I own a copy
doesn't mean I own the right to give away copies of it. Hardly the same
thing as a rummage sale.

Currently the movie
industry is crying the blues blaming the internet (not DVD rentals) for it's
losses, and they haven't produced a movie of any quality, 98 percent have
been horrible, but they can advertise out the ass and buyer beware!

I'm the _last_ person to defend how the MPAA and RIAA idiots do
business, but - if it's worth watching, it's worth paying for. If you
don't want to pay for it because it's 98% crap, well then, don't just
steal it because it's no good, just don't _get_ it because it's no good.
"I'm going to steal this because it's not worth what they're asking"
isn't gonna cut it - if it's not worth it, don't steal it.

Well how
about they be beware also. Things that have short life spans movies, music
and software should not have the same ownership rights as that of a classic
piece of art. You can buy an application today tomorrow they're out of
business or have been bought out, no more support and then they release a
new version rendering the one you bought obsolete and incompatible and 3
months later you have to buy it again. If they want copyright privileges,
then they should be held responsible for providing owners with specific
product upgrades and support for the life of the product.....

Why? You buy something, you buy it with the terms and conditions it's
sold under. Some software is great about this, some software is not.
Their upgrade policy should be something you consider when you decide if
you want to buy a package or not. Again, stealing a package just
because you don't like how they do upgrades, is just pretending you're
making an ethical statement when you're really just stealing from the
software developer whose product you're using without paying for. Been
there, done that, stopped writing shareware because of that sort of
people.