Andy Hall

Default Stairlift (a bit OT but I respect the experiences of the group)

On 20 May 2004 02:43:11 -0700, (MBQ) wrote:

"nightjar" wrote in message ...
"John" john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom wrote in message
Unfortunately she is a bit overweight and has been frightened into "you

must
have a proper survey otherwise it cannot be guaranteed" situation.

A standard stair lift should be capable of taking up to 20 stone.

When my parents had a stair lift installed, the installers surveyed the
stairs and said exactly how much it would cost. However, they were buying
privately, rather than through Social Services.

I have noted that most equipment in the disability shops don't display
prices. I guess they have a captive market.

Prices for disabled equipment are not straighforward, as VAT exemption can
be claimed in many cases.

So they could show the ex-VAT price to allow comparisons. I'm with the

MBQ

That's not it. VAT exemption is based on medical need and the user
simply has to sign a declaration that the supplier should provide,
which the supplier can then provide to Customs and Excise if asked.
The user should have a backup letter from a doctor or occupational
therapist in case the VAT people ask.

As long as the quotation makes it clear whether the price includes or
excludes VAT it doesn't really matter. Most medical equipment
suppliers seem to quote exclusive prices anyway.

It is also fair to point out that suppliers have to have quite onerous
product designs with all manner of safety switches as well as product
and service liability insurances. All of this adds to the cost.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl