dadiOH

Greg wrote:
I have several screws that need to be removed from a 2x6 piece of wood
that forms the base of my raised stove hearth. I've tried drilling
into them to be able to remove the board, but my bits won't cut into
the metal and my bit is dulled. What type of bit would penetrate
into the screw? I need to remove the boards so I can lay a
Pergo-type floor underneath them, trim the boards, re-paint and
replace the boards around the hearth.

Why can't you unscrew them? Heads buggered = screw extractor per other
posts. Or just use a chisel and cut out the wood around them.

If you can turn the screw and it just won't back out try getting a
large screwdriver under the edge of the 2x6 and prying while turning the
screw. If there was no pilot hole drilled in the 2x6 - or if it was too
small - the screw could be sort of wedged in it.

Another way to do the same thing is to use a small screw driver jammed
down into the hole against the screw threads so that it gives the screw
something to climb on when you turn it.

Still another way...heat the head of the screw with a large soldering
iron so that it gets hot enough to char the wood a bit thereby enlarging
the hole.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...