Bill Gooch

Default Basswood

I was given a half dozen large chunks of basswood - 4ft lengths about 10
inches round. It's green and I'm not having much luck turning it. Either
its the wood or my technique but I seem to be ripping the wood apart rather
than getting the nice curls coming off the gouge that I get with ash etc.
Also, the one bowl I have pretty much finished was very difficult to sand, a
lot of long fibers that took a lot of work with a 40grit sandpaper to get to
a point where they disappeared.

Is there a technique to use with basswood or is it better off left to
carvers? Any thoughts?

--
Bill Gooch
Kemptville, ON.