TimPerry

"Tom MacIntyre" wrote in message

Hi folks...this was in a baseball newsgroup that I participate in
(rec.sport.baseball). Faraday cages have been mentioned, implying that
it could be safe. I don't know that I'd trust this against lightning
(maybe a Van de Graff generator). What do you think?

"Just wondering if sitting on a wood bench inside a metal cage (i.e.
metal on top and 4 sides) is a safe place to be during a lightning
storm. This is similar to the situation of being in a car (except for
the rubber tires!). I have seen younger kids wait out a passing storm
this way and am wondering if it IS in fact safe? What would the effect
of metal cleats be? I'd appreciate any thoughts from anybody but
especially from physics teachers/physicists. Thanks!"

Tom

there is no guarantee that a baseball cage is adequately grounded. the
support poles are usually set in concrete.

faraday cages are meant to block RF. lightning is DC (mostly).

refer to http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_pls/lst.html

http://www.securityworld.com/communi...ingsafety.html

http://www.nhoem.state.nh.us/mitigation/fig%203-16.htm

http://www.metlife.com/Applications/...,P4091,00.html

http://www.scouter.com/compass/Leade...htning_Safety/

i routinely repair lightning damaged equipment. when you see first hand
large molten globs of metal, ceramic, and other material that used to be
perfectly good electronics you tend to get real cautious about where you go
and what you do when a lightning storm passes through.