Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 23:36:35 -0400, "Michele Smith"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

What I have been
experiencing particularily with the internet connection using a high speed
modem is constant problems connecting, and when on, freeze ups.

comp.dcom.modems has several modem experts.

I've moved
the modem further away, and so far so good. However would the modem cause
the system to freeze up?

Possibly, if it is a softmodem, a controllerless modem, or a USB
modem. I doubt that a serial modem could cause this kind of problem.

Also, when shutting down I don't get the proper
shut down screen, just a blinking cursor, after which will invoke a scan
disk at start up. Furthermore, I find at times the system is slow. It all
seems random. Sometimes it's great, more than half the time it's a pain!!!

As suggested elsewhere, scan for viruses and spyware. AVG from Grisoft
is a free Windows based virus scanner, and ZoneAlarm from Zone Labs is
a free personal firewall. Consider using non-MS products for your
Internet access.

- Franc Zabkar