SQLit

"Rod Nussbaumer" wrote in message
news:Wueye.157400$El.155922@pd7tw1no...
SQLit wrote:
"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm going to be rewiring my house soon and because of the layout of my
house, it looks like there's going to be a handful of areas where it
will be easier to run a circuit to a junction box and then branch off
all the connections for that ciruict from that one juction box. That
means there will have to be around 12-14 wires comming in and all be
connected to the supplying wires. This makes me think that a bus
connection would work best, like the ones that exist in the breaker
panel box.

So my question is ... does such a junction box exist? One that already
has bus connections build into it? Also, is my idea up to code? I've
studied the Ontario Electrical code and I don't see anything that would
say that I can't do this ... as long as I don't overfill the box.

Thanks,
Harry

They are usually custom made. These boxes have to be accessible as well.
Since your thinking of this you would be required to provide overcurrent
protection for the smaller wires unless you are thinking using one of

the
tap rules, which as far as I know apply to feeders not branch circuits.

My lay outs are usually a 12or 14-3 to a box. I like to a use the smoke
detector location. I use a deeper and larger box to accommodate the
junctions.

Best to check locally to be sure before you dive off the pier....

I'm not an electrician, and I don't play one on TV, but...

Isn't there a rule that limits the numbr of 'devices' on a branch
circuit? Something like a mximum of 15 switches and other fixtures per
circuit? I'm assuming a 'branch' would be defined as a circuit protected
by a single breaker in a panel. So, then, why wouldn't the original
poster simply put in one or more sub-panels to serve the specified
purpose. This would solve the problem, remain within code, and offer
more conventional utility.

--- rod.

Circuits are determined by load. In residential load calculating, a breaker
will generally 80% supply of the rating on the breaker. Example, a 15 amp
circuit is considered to be maxed out at 1440 watts.

Just wondering, how much power do your switches use? (humor implied)