Duane Bozarth

Upscale wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
She can only ride in the van, but my mother still uses the
handicapped spots in her Taurus, without a handicapped person in sight
just because she has the plates.

That's different from up here in Canada. Parking permits for the disabled
are assigned to the person, not the vehicle. I can use the permit when I'm
travelling around as a passenger with someone who is able bodied or when I'm
driving a vehicle with hand controls.

It's not different in concept, only (perhaps) in implementation. Every
state in the US of which I am aware does essentially the same thing--a
handicapped individual has to apply and get an affidavit signed by
licensed physician stating the handicap and whether it is permanent. If
permanent, then a permanent handicap license plate will be issued for a
vehicle of choice, but it is still only valid to be used in the handicap
zone when the individual for which it was issued is either a passenger
or the driver, even though the tag is affixed to the vehicle. Abuse by
others of the privilege is punishable by pretty hefty fines. Most, if
not all, states will also issue at the same time one or more non-fixed
permits which may be placed in the vehicle so the same individual may be
a passenger or operator of another vehicle if necessary. Again, same
rule applies--others using the permit are not legal and subject to
fine/towing. Again, most if not all states will honor other states
temporary permits on out of state vehicles and many will for in-state
(MIL is visiting from Left Coast, for example, she can bring her hanging
permit w/ her rather than go get a local temporary)...