Gunner

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 02:51:53 GMT, "Gary Owens"
wrote:

You got all kinds of good stuff, but I'm in central Florida, and the
shipping would be a hell of a lot more that the price of the mill. The
shipping on this one is a tank of gas for my kids P/U and some pushing and
shoving. That said, if you have a vertical head or something like that we
need to talk.
gary

Aawp..no verticle heads..rare as hens teeth in thta size.

Gunner

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On 3 Jul 2005 17:58:12 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Gary Owens wrote:
DoN;
Thank You for the response. Yes spelling is not my strong point. I
went
to your site, and it was a help answering a lot of the questions I have,
but
I didn't find the manual.

Sorry -- it was in a subdirectory, but there was no link to it
from the main page.

It should now be visible -- as the last link on the page. But
you may have to hit "reload" if your browser still has the main page
cached.

Now I understand why I was told that the speed
was changed by changing the pulleys around.

So -- yours is an older one, too.

I've got 220 1ph in my shop, (that was a spring project, to run the air
cond), but I'm not sure if I want to go with a VFD or put on a DC motor,
as
3/4 hp is small enough to make it affordable.

No -- you *don't* want to put on a DC motor, because the speed
will be *way* too fast. That motor has a large gear reduction inside.
The output speed will probably be something like 350 RPM, and most DC
motors of reasonable horsepower won't have the right gearing. And -- it
depends on the size of the motor, with a particular offset of the shaft
from center, so you tighten or loosen the belt by loosening a clamp
under the motor and twisting the motor one way or the other (to change
belt speeds).

A VFD is nice, but a rotary converter can cost very little, as
long as you find a used motor for cheap to use as the idler. (Typically,
the capacitors for starting and tuning will cost more than the used
motor.) I think that a 1-1/2 HP motor will make an excellent idler for
this machine. You can even get one with the output shaft chewed up,
since you don't need the shaft at all. (Some people saw them off, some
build a safety housing around them.)

I can see this is going to be a summer long project, but the size and
cost
of the unit make it something that will be acceptable to me and also
acceptable to my wife.

That helps.

I'll leave the URL quoted, just in case you've already deleted
the original.

http://www2.d-and-d.com/NICHOLS-mill/index.html

Enjoy,
DoN.

Btw, I have a VERY nice Nicholes miller for sale.

So. Cal.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown