Speedy Jim

Greetings,

Why are you not allowed to solder copper pipe which is going to be
installed underground? I want to be very clear what question I am
asking. I am not asking for 10 responses stating that I must not
solder copper pipe to be used underground or why don't I just use a
compression fitting. I know that. I am asking why I am not suppose
to? I am not asking for the reason "because someone said so". I am
asking about the underlying reason.

Thank you very much for your time and energy,
William

Water utilities don't allow soldered connections anywhere
in the service lateral, esp before the meter.

They are concerned about the mechanical integrity of any
joints which could later on (think- 100 years) leak,
possibly resulting in revenue loss.

For services, the only coupling or terminating fitting
allowed is a flare fitting AFAIK. Compression fittings
are out along with soldered ones.

Hope that's what you were asking.

Jim