George wrote:
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 08:36:08 -0700, nospambob wrote:

Acid rain killing lakes on the East coast doesn't seem to be
imaginary.

If, on the other hand, we allowed the forests to burn once in a while, like
they did of old, we'd sweeten those granite-bottomed lakes. Instead we have
acid pine needles and black water.

1) Fire was never common or widespread over large areas in the
Eastern US the way it is in some other parts of the world.
Succession was more often set back by beaver and ice storms.

2) Much of the forst surrounding the lakes to which OP referred is
Deciduous.

But I do agree that more of the forest should be left for Mother
Nature to manage. But she does have a lot of management tools
besides fire.

--

FF