Ken Weitzel

Michele Smith wrote:

I may, a big may, have finally figured it out part of it. What I have been
experiencing particularily with the internet connection using a high speed
modem is constant problems connecting, and when on, freeze ups. I've moved
the modem further away, and so far so good. However would the modem cause
the system to freeze up? Also, when shutting down I don't get the proper
shut down screen, just a blinking cursor, after which will invoke a scan
disk at start up. Furthermore, I find at times the system is slow. It all
seems random. Sometimes it's great, more than half the time it's a pain!!!

Hi...

Your description sounds like a classic case of spyware
(and all the other 'dirty' stuff that goes with it)

If I'm wrong I apologize, otherwise I'd strongly urge you
to get a copy of Ad-aware (free for personal use), Spybot
(free) to detect, remove, and take care of spyware.

Also, a copy of f-prot (the dos based version is free) to
take care of virus'es)

Finally, a firewall - though unless you're prepared to pay
for one then someone else will have to suggest which if any
may be available without charge.

Hope this helps; if you want more let us know.

Take care.

Ken