Default Bushog repair help needed.

I have an old 6 foot or so bushog of my dads I am trying to fix. The
mount for the gearbox was broke. Welded in some new metal and new
bolts. Did a good job. Went to mow with it in just a tall grass field.
I turned it on in my mowed yard and I could see the blades turning.
First went into the tall grass form the yard and it mowed good..... for
about 3 feet, then it is as if the tall grass slowed down the mower.
Brought it back up to the house. I can still turn the stump jumper and
plades even with the pto on. (And of course the tractor off). The nut
holding on the stump jumper I could turn. SOmeone has welded the nut on
the bolt. I could still turn the nut with a wrench.

Any guesses what is wrong. I have never worked on one of these. I guess
my next step is to take the stump jumper off, right?