Pop

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

wrote:

Is a Heat-Saver Dryer Vent any better than a regular Dryer Vent Louver?

Brookstone.com sells a heat saver dryer vent, here is the link:

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/produ...ct&prodtemp=t2

thanks.

Looks like an overkill to me.

My thoughts a

If it's mounted low enough to be able to reach it for checking/cleaning
without having to use a ladder, then you may find that curious or
malicious kids might remove the cover and may make off with it.

With the traditional exposed louver style like these:

http://search.hardwarestore.com/exec...+Vent+Hood&r=1

You can easily notice when there's lint hanging up the louvers and do
something about it. With that fancy design you probably have to make a
concious "inspection effort" to see if the shuttle is stuck.

On a picky note, I don't like the looks of the Brookstone pictured vent.
Whoever installed it was too sloppy or lazy to cut wedge shaped pieces
of wood to fill those ugly gaps created by the siding overlaps.

Just my .02. My dryer vent sits on siding too, but those gaps are filled.

Jeff

Coincidentally, I got to see one of those last night. The damp
air output comes out in a circle all around, and runs right
straight up the side of the house! At least a flapper pushes it
out from the siding a few inches or so.
To see it, wait unti after dark and use a bright light to
illuminate it; get the angle right and you can see the moisture in
the air. Do it about ten minutes after the dryer is started.

Cheers,

Pop