Alan

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:27:11 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Steve B. wrote:
so folks who buy an "oversize" unit, while their intention is to be
more comfortable, end up LESS comfortable in a cool, but clammy home.

get the correct size, and no more

Since a two ton works fine for most situations I was thinking of
having it replaced with one of the new two speed units and sizing the
lower of the two at two tons then we would have the additional
capacity of the second speed to cope with the days when we need more
cooling. Will this work OK or am I missing a big part of the picture?

Steve B.

Good plan, but I can suggest that when expecting company, you can
improve comfort by reducing the temperature 2-5 degrees an hour or two
before company arrives or if cooking, maybe sooner.

Mine *might* be capable of bringing the temp down that much in a few
hours, but I have always felt that it is oversized as it does not run
continuously even in the hottest weather and so doesn't do enough
dehumidifying.