Joshua Putnam

In article ,
says...
I had shopped for existing homes, both stick built and manufactured,
and all realtors I spoke with said manufactured homes on permanent
foundations, in this area, appreciate comparably to stick built.

Yes, things definitely have changed -- better manufactured homes
built within the last 10 years or so are built to some fairly tough
standards, better than stick-built building codes in some parts of
the country. If you can avoid the really obvious mobile-home
appearance (low roof, cheap skirting, etc.), they can appreciate like
stick-built homes.

Manufacturers do use some proprietary materials. My common living
areas have 9 1/2 foot ceilings with 7 1/2 inch crown moulding.
Imagine my surprise to find out the crown was made of styrofoam. Once
installed and painted, you'd never know. I was able to scrounge a
couple sticks from the factory service team. I've never seen the
stuff retail.

A professional building materials supplier will be able to get foam
moldings and trim. It's actually a relatively established product, a
lot of stick-built homes use foam moldings inside and out, even some
fairly high-dollar homes. I've seen it in homes over $300/square
foot construction cost.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/