Andy McArdle

Just one question: any problems with "grain" in the bone?

Depends on the bone, Andy, and how you're going to use it. Since bone
does grow in the same orientation as wood, it stands to reason that it
is more strong in compression, than it would be in shear. That said,
I have made jewelry for years out of bone, and for many, many years
buttons were made out of bone, and they held up well, as has my
jewelry. For embellishment or in an application where there won't be
a lot of shear forces across it, it is a great (if stinky!) material
to work with. Wear a mask when you're sanding it though.

Thanks for the info fellas!

I wonder if the bone from a spit-roast will turn any differently? Now to go
annoy the cook... ;]

--
- Andy
No matter which tool you need, it's in the bottom drawer.