Wild Bill

I wouldn't consider a DC motor at all (for a stationary installation).

I believe this situation was addressed with several solutions earlier. Did
you not see the 15 replies?

If the compressor is in good operating condition (unloaders operating
properly, motor bearings in good condition, etc), you could lower the
electrical loading by using a smaller pulley on the existing motor.
This may require shorter belt lengths, but the adjustment slots could allow
the use of your present belts.

"gtslabs" wrote in message
ups.com...

I picked up a 10 hp compressor, dual heads, 2 stage, 120 gallon tank.
The Pump has a centrifical unloader. The Motor is 3 phase 240 of which
I run on my 10hp rotary phase converter wired with 8-3 With Ground and
a 40 amp breaker.
The compressor starts fine but the breaker trips when the compressor is
near its top end around 160 psi. What are some causes for the breaker
to trip?

WB

"gtslabs" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have had problems getting my 10 hp 2 stage compressor to run on my 10
hp rotary phase converter from Andersons. It is currently wired for
240v at 1750 rpm. Can I replace the motor with a smaller hp motor and
possibly a smaller rpm or would I also have to change some pulleys too?
I am mainly using it for a large sandblast cabinet so I don't need a
real high psi.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a DC motor to drive an
air compressor?