Nick Müller

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

I am curious what you guys would want in a book.
I am looking for a balance of technical info to step by step
descriptions.

I think it's quite difficult to get the right balance between theory and
practice. It also depends on the person reading the book. I would prefer
a book with quite a lot theory.

First of all, I wouldn't like to buy a book that spawns from stick to
TIG. Separate the books, or you get a mischmasch of everything without
all. :-)

Now, that you (err, I) have decided to write a single book for every
process, the contents depends on the welding process. for example O/A
and TIG are quite easy to learn, because it's more you setting the pace.
You can weld slowly, or fast. If you're good, you can weld fast, if not,
then not. For O/A, I still cant weld above 4mm. But I also don't care, I
fire up the O/A once a year and use it only for thin stuff. What I want
to say, is that it is easier to see what's happening, because you have
much more time to observe what's going on, and you also see what the
puddle is doing.

Now to the processes:

* O/A-book:
would not buy one.

* TIG-book:
would not buy, because I don't have a TIG. :-) The one I want costs
above 3000 $, I can't afford that.
Anyhow, what I'd like to see is:
- AC/DC, what for.
- AC, selecting the propper frequency
- sure how to select the propper rod _and_ how to find the propper rod
for say, aluminium. Describe some chemical tests that give the content
of Si, Mg, etc. and then a table what rod to use.

* Stick-book:
A lot about the propper sticks. A _lot_!
- select the right stick for the different positions. Sticks for repair
work (eg. CI, SS, etc.).
- starting an arc with stick X and AC or DC. Many do have problems with
that.

* MIG/MAG-book
- selecting gas
- setting up. Many people don't have the slightest clue what's right.
the bad thing about MIG/MAG is, that the seams often look good, but
don't hold what they promise. teach them to check their welds.
Now this is a funny aproach, but I think it helps a lot for MIG/MAG:
teach them how to make _bad_ welds. for example a push weld, holding the
burner flat. Explain what's happening and say they have to cut through
the weld and look close at it (maybe some etching). If you know how to
make the many possible errors, you also know how to avoid them.
Preparation of workpiece.

general:
Teach how to observe and _analyze_, how to avoid and improve.

Would I buy a dvd? I think no. A picture shows how to hold the burner,
in a picture you can add some hints, lines, whatever. But not in a
video. A video makes the project more expensive, without adding _real_
information.
Until I get a real good example, I think that videos are for dummies.
:-))

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models: