JohnM

I acquired an old brass Craftsman (plumber-type) blowtorch in
preparation for building a model boiler so I have several questions
about blowtorches:

Where can I buy a leather(?)washer for the pressure pump?

Make one will probably be easiest. Lotta times, old leather seals will
respond well to a little oil on them.

The valve on the pressure pump looks like it should have a ball valve.
There is a spring but no sign of a ball. Is the ball missing?

Dunno about that one..

What's the best fuel? White gas (naptha?), kerosene? ???

I'm pretty sure white gas is the preferred fuel for most but I'd try
kerosene- lots of stuff that is meant for white gas will burn kerosene
nicely- Coleman lanterns, for instance:-)

Does anyone happen to have a diagram/parts list(even generic)?

Is there a book that describes the care and feeding of blowtorches?

What do I need to know to operate the various controls?

Does it need to have the vaporizer pre-heated like a Primus stove?

Never used a Primus stove, but I suppose they're the same; crack the
valve open and let the tray get a puddle of fuel, light it and keep the
puddle 'till it's hot enough to burn properly.

Whatcha doin' with the torch anyway? Heavy soldering? Heating the
boiler? Propane torches have pretty much killed the blowtorch..

John

TIA

Max ben-Aaron