Eric R Snow

On 2 Jul 2005 16:24:54 -0700, wrote:

The reason I got a welded piece of work is this.

I drilled 3/4" diameter screw, with a 3/8" 2" deep, then I drilled it
with a 5/16 through the rest of the screw, so I could put a 5/16" brass
rod to act as a hollow part of the pipe.
And I put some silver on the top and put it all in the forge, after
seeing the silver on top melting,
I turned off the torch. I have to mention that the screw was red hot. I
guess hot enough for the brass inside the hollow part of the screw to
melt in with the silver and this is how I got this thing soldered and
alloed.
I guess this is a No-No in casting.
Must use a cooler metalic mould to pour molten silver in it.

I never heard about making a tube out of a sheet of metal but I dont
think it is for me.

Why not use lost wax casting? It would be very easy to make a mold for
the wax tubes and then cast them. I did this in high school. I needed
a tube that was about 3/8 OD and 5/16 ID. I rolled wax sheet around a
dowell for a mold, added sprues, and cast it with a centrifigul
caster. It came out nice.Also, you can get silver clay that is molded,
dried, and fired, After firing you will have a fine silver, not
sterling, piece. Rio Grand sells the silver clay. I'm sure it's
available other places too.
Eric R Snow