DeepDiver

"Carla Fong" wrote in message
news:6Ppxe.6837$Fn4.2093@trnddc06...
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

I have decided to spend some of this summer finally compiling a welding
book.

Ernie, concentrate on producing the video, configure the book as a backup.
To learn to weld, you need to see and hear the welding process, and you
just don't get that from a book with still pictures.

Use each medium for its strongest characteristic - printed stuff is great
for reference material: 'exploded views' of a mig gun or tig torch -
tables of amperage versus rod diameter and composition - that sort of
thing.

Video for actual 'process' documentation...

just my $.02 -

Carla

I agree with Carla. Welding is as much an art as it is a science: it
requires seeing and hearing (and feeling, although that's a bit difficult to
convey in any form of instructional media). A quality instructional DVD is
the way to go, backed up by a book. In addition to the reference materials
Carla mentioned, the book can also contain an instructional narrative of the
welding process along with photos (both taking from the video) as a study
aid: the students can review the book material to jog their memory and
reinforce what they watched in the video. I would consider doing this
project as a DVD-ROM with the book on the disk in PDF format. That would
significantly lower your publishing costs.

Btw, why don't we have any cool metalworking gals like Carla in the
rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup?

- Michael