James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Yeah, Pine would go pretty quickly and is a haven for termites around here.
Interestingly, just about every house that has an adobe courtyard and uses
wood, has pine. I'm bent on trying to find cedar but I doubt I'll find it
in 3"x8" sizes. I may have to join/glue some boards together to get what I
want.
Cheers,
cc

"Ron" wrote in message
I think pine would rot pretty quickly, it doesn't hold up well against
rotting. I would use treated wood.
Ron
"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Hiya All,

I'm about to embark on building an adobe wall outside my house (clay

bricks
basically). I intend to put in a gate and in order to hang this thing, I
will be putting prolly 3"x8" rough cut cedar or pine into the ground

against
the wall ends to create the frame. I plan to set these in concrete

around
24" deep. I'll then fasten the wood to the wall but can't rely on the
adobe to provide a whole lot of support (hence, sinking the frame into
the
ground). I'm worried about the wood
rotting out.

I will be using an asphaltum in the morter and was wondering if just

dipping
the ends of the boards into this stuff (essentially 24") would provide me
the protection I
need. Would this work or is there a better way?

Thanks much,
cc