Steve B.

Default Oversized A/C question

so folks who buy an "oversize" unit, while their intention is to be more
comfortable, end up LESS comfortable in a cool, but clammy home.

get the correct size, and no more

I have an additional question on this subject...

Living in south FL it's hotter than heck most of the summer. Our A/C
is working fine this year (thanks to the helpful people here who
insisted I had a leak in the return that was pulling attic air).
While the A/C does a good job of keeping us comfortable it gets
overwhelmed when we have guests over or when cooking a big meal in the
early evening (when the natural heat load is worst).

Since a two ton works fine for most situations I was thinking of
having it replaced with one of the new two speed units and sizing the
lower of the two at two tons then we would have the additional
capacity of the second speed to cope with the days when we need more
cooling. Will this work OK or am I missing a big part of the picture?

Steve B.