Colbyt

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
It seems that there was a law passed that required new homes built to
have an egress window in the basement. I recall when my wife was going
to have a daycare in our old home basement, the inspector said we would
have to create an exit through one of the windows.

My question; is this true? My new home does not have this. The homes
to the East of me which were built first do not, those to the West do,
and the one going up across the street also has one.

Are they expensive to put in? If I complete my basement, are they going
to require that I put one in?

Different areas are going to have different rules. You will need to check
your local rules for a definitive answer.

Living space (media room etc) may not require the same size exit that
sleeping areas do. This all depends on your local codes.

I am fairly sure that sleeping areas require the same size window below
grade as above. There are also some requirements that if the window opens
to a space that is more than ?? feet deep a ladder or steps must be
provided.

Colbyt