Greg M

"JimL" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:56:39 GMT, "Greg M" wrote:

I've been having some trouble with the central AC in a house that I just

recently moved into. The problem is, the AC works fine, but it won't keep a
constant temperature. Basically, when I turn the thermostat to "cool" and
"auto" it just runs and runs even after the desired temperature is met. I
thought that it might be a bad thermostat, and since I wanted to upgrade to
a programmable one anyway, I bought a new thermostat (Honeywell CT3500A1004)
and installed it. The AC still does the same thing, I set the temperature at
one day 75 when I left for work and when I got home it was down to 68 and
the AC was still running. Now I haven't been running my AC during the day,
but when I get home the temperature in the house is over 80, so it takes
almost the entire night to get it back to a comfortable level. This is my
last ditch effort before I have someone come out, any suggestions?

Greg M

Do you know how to operate an ohmmeter? Which wires of the
thermostat did you wire up?

A quick test using the thermostat wiring will help so provide us
with the info above.

I wired the new thermostat the same as the old one, which could be a problem
if it was wired wrong. The old one had wires in the Rh, W & O terminals.
Also, I don't own an ohmmeter, but what wires would I be testing?

Also, when I say that it takes almost all night to get back to a comfortable
temp, I mean from when I get home at 6-7pm to when I got to bed as 10-11pm.
At times when I get home the temp is around 10 degrees higher than I want
it, and being in Michigan it's sometimes pretty humid. It also doesn't help
that the thermostat is in the living room, the largest room in the house,
and I haven't install my cellular shades yet because I'm still working on
painting it. However, the one time I left it on all day, it got down to 68
degrees, it was freezing and there was condensation on the windows.

Greg M