Ken

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have some wooden windows that are rotting. One contractor
wants to go through and replace them. Another wants to "scab" them.
According to him that means taking out the bad part, milling a
replacement and then "grafting" it on the good part. This has a
couple of pluses, not the least of which is MUCh less cost and we
also don't have to mess with restaining the insides since they were
left intact.
The home is about $400,000, so I have some concerns about
matching the current windows outside and also that it might look,
well "scabby". Any comments?

----
Ideologue: noun. Someone who disagrees with the writer on
an issue and is insufficiently apologetic about it.
Stolen from Billo in misc.writing

I've never heard it termed "scabbing", but replacing rotted sections of
a window is not uncommon. If it is done properly, there should be no
appearance issue whatsoever. Apply the spliced in pieces of wood, fill
any small gaps with filler, prime and paint, and you will never know
the difference.

Here is some more info:

http://tinyurl.com/7b5gt

Ken