Calvin Henry-Cotnam

alan ) said...

I'm trying to determing the best setup for my electrical stuff.
I can't seem to pull the specs on my Amana 23 Cu fridge yet BUT I was
considering hooking up my range hood on the same circuit.

My knowledge is based on the CEC, but I suspect there is a similar
restriction in the NEC...

Prior to the 1994 revision, the CEC allowed only a range hood and/or
a clock outlet to be on the same circuit as an outlet intended for
a refrigerator.

Since the revision in 1994, ONLY a clock outlet is allowed to be on
the same circuit as a refrigerator outlet. So, the answer is, "no".

At one point going into the past, the refrigerator outlet could be
on a circuit with other stuff. I don't know just when it was reduced
to the range hood/clock before being further reduced to the clock only,
but my parents' home was built in 1963 and the refrigerator not only
shared the circuit with the range hood, but with the lighting of the
hallway. At least when we renovated the kichen in the early 90's, we
gave the fridge its own circuit.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon