william_b_noble

take your dial calipers, measure the minor diameter of the thread and drill
the hole to that size (or about .010 over). then, oil (or wax, or soap) the
inside of the hole and the threaded part of the shift lever and slowly work
the knob onto the metal - the metal will form the threads in the knob - turn
about a half turn, then back off 1/4, then forward 1/2, back 1/4 until it's
on all the way
"Prometheus" wrote in message
Hello all,

Since I spend so much time in the car during my daily commute, I was
thinking that I'd like to turn a knob for my stick shift out of a nice
hunk of cherry I've got sitting in the garage. It seems like a fairly
simple project, but I'm wondering just how in the heck I can get the
threads tapped in the knob. I don't want to epoxy it in place, as the
car is new and I want to have the option to replace it again should
that become necessary later. While I'm sure there is a tap with the
proper thread size somewhere, it seems like overkill to buy a really
large and probably fairly uncommon tap for one hole, so I was thinking
of trying to find a nut at the local hardware store that I can epoxy
into the center of the knob, and use that. The only problem is that I
have no idea what size I am looking for.

Does anyone know if those knobs use a single standard thread size, and
if they do, what that size may be? Or, has anyone tried a different
strategy for creating threads inside of a turned piece? I have some
old cans of that "Durham's Rock hard putty" in the basement, and I
wonder if it might be possible to mix something like that up, fill the
hollowed knob about 1/3 full, and then grease the shifter lever with
something to keep it from sticking and use the shifter itself as sort
of a thread mold. Tried doing a google search, but I didn't find much
on this sort of project with the serach strings I tried, so I figured
I'd check in here and see if anyone has done this before, and how it
worked out.