John DeBoo

Some are threaded and some are not, they're slip overs onto splines,
like my 92 Ford 4x4 Supercab. Go to your dealer and ask to see a knob,
then you'll know if it's splined or threaded and can ask the thread size.
John

Prometheus wrote:
Hello all,

Since I spend so much time in the car during my daily commute, I was
thinking that I'd like to turn a knob for my stick shift out of a nice
hunk of cherry I've got sitting in the garage. It seems like a fairly
simple project, but I'm wondering just how in the heck I can get the
threads tapped in the knob. I don't want to epoxy it in place, as the
car is new and I want to have the option to replace it again should
that become necessary later. While I'm sure there is a tap with the
proper thread size somewhere, it seems like overkill to buy a really
large and probably fairly uncommon tap for one hole, so I was thinking
of trying to find a nut at the local hardware store that I can epoxy
into the center of the knob, and use that. The only problem is that I
have no idea what size I am looking for.

Does anyone know if those knobs use a single standard thread size, and
if they do, what that size may be? Or, has anyone tried a different
strategy for creating threads inside of a turned piece? I have some
old cans of that "Durham's Rock hard putty" in the basement, and I
wonder if it might be possible to mix something like that up, fill the
hollowed knob about 1/3 full, and then grease the shifter lever with
something to keep it from sticking and use the shifter itself as sort
of a thread mold. Tried doing a google search, but I didn't find much
on this sort of project with the serach strings I tried, so I figured
I'd check in here and see if anyone has done this before, and how it
worked out.