Al Bundy

I feel your pain John. I've been in that exact position. In an older
building like that there is little you can reasonably do. I'll be
watching the posts too. The problem has a lot to do with the way people
walk. Some renters walk around like cattle or horses with metal shoes.
Others tiptoe around with respect for other's rights. You are stuck
with the former. If you tell the neighbors they may make more noise.
If you tell the landlord, that is worse than telling the neighbors.
Learn to live with it and you will be surprised how well that works
over time.