Mike O'Donnell

Pins 1-2 and 3-6 are used for the networking. The idea was that the
innermost pair (4&5) would be used for telephone.

The only difference between 568A and 568B are that the orange and green
pairs are swapped. A crossover cable has 568A at one end and 568B at the
other.

- Mike O.

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
Ray wrote:

I've installed tooless Cat5 jacks on both ends of my cable using the
T568A convention;

PIN NUMBER COLOR
1 Green/White
2 Green
3 Orange/White
4 Blue
5 Blue/White
6 Orange
7 Brown/White
8 Brown

I purchased a Cat5e patch cord and noticed that these wire colors do
not match my jack colors.

They are set up the following way looking left to right with the snap
release pointed up and the connection towards you:

orange/white, orange, blue/white, blue, green/white, green,
brown/white, brown

Is this a problem ?? I feel that if as long as there is 8 wires,
regardles of the color coming out of the router, there is a path to
send and recieve data.

You don't need all eight. Four will do. I forget which four.

Very true. IIRC, thats the diff between 568A and 568B. One of them (I
forgot which) was designed so that the center pair belongs to one of the 2
pair sets and is not split. That way you can have network and phone in
the same socket. The center two function as your phone line, and 2 other
pair function as network, and 1 pair spare. Since RJ12 plug fits nicely
in RJ45 socket. (it may be that both 568A and 568B do this, cant remember)

Or just split the pairs, 2 going to each socket giving you two network
outlets, but then you gotta do your own scheme since 2 of the pairs will
have to be mapped to the other color.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert