Ken Grunke

Prometheus wrote:
While I'm sure there is a tap with the
proper thread size somewhere, it seems like overkill to buy a really
large and probably fairly uncommon tap for one hole, so I was thinking
of trying to find a nut at the local hardware store that I can epoxy
into the center of the knob, and use that.

Nothing wrong with that idea, I'd drill the hole slightly undersize so
the nut can be press-fit in the hole which contains a dab of epoxy.
If the connection needs to be stronger, I'd use a coupling nut, which is
longer and you wouldn't need any glue if it was driven tight into a hole.

Ken Grunke