Andy McArdle

Since I spend so much time in the car during my daily commute, I was
thinking that I'd like to turn a knob for my stick shift out of a nice
hunk of cherry I've got sitting in the garage. It seems like a fairly
simple project, but I'm wondering just how in the heck I can get the
threads tapped in the knob. I don't want to epoxy it in place, as the
car is new and I want to have the option to replace it again should
that become necessary later. While I'm sure there is a tap with the
proper thread size somewhere, it seems like overkill to buy a really
large and probably fairly uncommon tap for one hole, so I was thinking
of trying to find a nut at the local hardware store that I can epoxy
into the center of the knob, and use that. The only problem is that I
have no idea what size I am looking for.

In my faster days the ol' 8-ball was considered de-rigeur, which was drilled
to take a short length of plastic tubing. Even garden hose'd do in a pinch.
This then "self-tapped" over the gear-lever.

When properly sized no glue was needed and one size fit all...

--
- Andy
Ever just seem to not be able to get around to procrastinating?