I'd like to see a good effort put into explaining why certian settings
and maneuvers are used when welding instead of just saything "this is
the way you do it". Most of the people I introduce to welding (TIG
mostly) just want the bare essentials (one guy made little labels for
his Syncrowave 250 to go on the switch positions that say "steel" and
"aluminum") but don't realize that they're really digging themselves
into a rut. Without knowing the finer points they'll never be able to
tweak and improvise when something comes up. Or I might be wrong and
just overwheming beginners, who knows?

I'd like to see a pretty complete section on filler rod alloys, again
with some explanations. Information on the different filler choices for
things like 4130 steel or 304 SS are invaluable in a reference book.

Detailed descriptions and pictures of the actual torch movements and
filler deposition. All the books I've read have nice pictures of
finished products but what I want to see welds with little arrows
showing torch movement.

The last thing is some good tips on joint design. The design is what
often makes the difference between a bad weld holding and a perfect
weld breaking.