Default Silencing footfall noise?

Hi all,

My wife and I recently moved into an apartment after living in a house,
and we have terrible problems with footfall noise from the upstairs
neighbors. It's an older apartment and there is a constand "thud"
sound when our neighbors walk around. They never seem to sleep -- they
are walking around at 1am and get up at 4am.

I was wondering if there are "temporary" ways to help with noise
transmission -- for example, using velcro dots to attach
noise-reduction tiles to the ceiling, so they could be removed when we
move out. Does this kind of thing help? Has anyone been able to
mitigate this type of noise using similar techniques?

Thanks for any replies!

John