Upscale

"D. J." wrote in message
This is trivial stuff, but I've been making a few Shaker wall clocks and
downloaded a clockface with Roman numerals. Where I went to school, the
number (4) was IV. However on the clockface I have it is IIII.

From a visual standpoint, which looks better to you? Aside from the VIII,
there isn't any other character that takes up four spaces. Of course, one
could argue that the 4 balances the 8, but it's up to you to decide which is
more aesthetically pleasing. I believe most learned Roman numerals with the
IV. Do they still teach them in school these days?