SteveB

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
Hi Guys.

I have decided to spend some of this summer finally compiling a welding
book.

I am curious what you guys would want in a book.
I am looking for a balance of technical info to step by step
descriptions.

Lots of pictures and likely I will do at least 1 dvd or tape to work
with the book.
I will likely start with a general welding book and move on to a TIG
specific book, or maybe the other way around.
I need both for teaching and if it is an actual published book the
school can buy them.

Here's two pennies flung from the balcony .........

Lots of pictures or drawings about proper movement. And that given on EACH
kind of rod. Some movements, like whipping, don't work good on some rods.
Slow and steady doesn't work on some rods. I've seen lots of pictures on
how welds SHOULD (I hate that word!) look, but few clues on how to achieve
them with that particular rod.

Gear sections to each type of student. Give the newbie tips on movement,
rod angle, all the basics.

The intermediate on building a shelf for an uphill weave.

The advanced on keyholing.

And after each topic in each section, "COMMON MISTAKES" as a help section.

A technical section for technical stuff.

Keep the sections separate, not mixing the technical in the newbie section
where it will only confuse.

Etc.

You've probably made all the mistakes and hit all the rocks in the learning
curve. Just expound on those. Welding takes a lot of time to learn, and
there are umpteen different kinds of welding and rods. So, I would just aim
it at the garage hobbyist/newbie rather than the old farts.

Give the old farts their own books.

WITH BIG LETTERS! ;-)

Steve