Wild Bill

Unless it's cold where you are, as a Temporary ban-aid, I would consider
removing the thermostat to eliminate that extra little restriction that it
causes (replacing used gasket with a new one). Always a good idea to replace
a thermostat before it fails anyway.
This may have detrimental effects on fuel consumption, or other
ramifications (particularly if there's an engine computer), emissions,
catalytic converter, blah blah.

This may provide a little more flow for circulation. Temporary, as in not
running down to Baha, or driving competition sports. Drive like a granny,
and avoid using the A/C.. you might be OK 'till next week.

None-the-less, I'd carry some coolant and/or be prepared for an emergency
hose repair/replace.

A holiday weekend trip was interrupted once by a friend's van overheating.
We were in several vehicles, and his had the gear, and something that sounds
like gear.
It felt kinda stupid to stand in a parking lot spraying water on his
radiator (not the engine parts) with a trigger spray bottle. The evaporation
helped cool down his coolant gradually.

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Independence Day

WB

"Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
The "new" option is attractive, but for the labor in getting it
installed (it's a van, and a real B**ch to work on) and the fact that
I'll probably have to order the radiator and be stuck until the middle
of next week. If there's some magic sauce that will dissolve the crud,
I'd like to have some.

Martin